The City of Syracuse Parks and Recreation Department will reopen outdoor tennis courts on Friday, May 15 beginning at 8 a.m. The two par-3 nine-hole courses at Burnet Park and Sunnycrest are scheduled to open on Saturday, May 16 with new protocols in place. Parks golf courses will operate seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., weather permitting, by reservation only; walk-up play will not be allowed.
Golf Course Information
Social distancing guidelines at the two municipal courses will be in place and strictly enforced. Golf reservations can be made starting Saturday, May 16 at 7:30 a.m. via phone. Burnet Golf Course can be reached at 315-487-6285. Sunnycrest Golf Course can be reached at 315-473-2674. Tee time intervals will be 15 minutes apart.
Cash or checks will not be accepted. Payment must be submitted onsite via credit or debit card only and a 2.75% transaction fee will be applied. To reduce the number of transactions, one payment transaction per group is encouraged; groups will be limited to four players.
Season membership passes for 2020 will be available for purchase onsite and is strongly encouraged. Passes may be used at both courses. Fees are as follows: Adults – $100; Seniors – $40; and Juniors – $40. Non-city residents will be charged an additional $25 surcharge. Season memberships entitle members to unlimited green fees. Advanced reservations are still required.
Specific instructions will be posted at the golf courses. Below are guidelines golfers should be aware of before they arrive:
- To prevent congregating, please arrive no more than 15 minutes before your scheduled tee time.
- Social distancing of six (6) feet apart is required for all golfers not from the same household. A mask must be worn when social distances are not able to be maintained.
- The clubhouses will not be open to the public. A designated area of the clubhouse will be accessible for payments. Waiting lines with distancing marks will be posted.
- Pushcarts and golf club rentals will not be available.
- Concessions will not be available for purchase.
- Rakes, ball washers, and coolers will not be available on the course. Flagsticks should not be removed or touched. Cups will be blocked preventing the ball from falling completely in the hole.
Golf leagues, clinics, and tournaments remain suspended until further notice.
Burnet Park Golf Course is located in the Tipperary Hill neighborhood of the City, at Avery and Coleridge Avenues. Built in 1901, it was one of the oldest courses in New York State and has the distinction of being the only course with a “shamrock” bunker, reflective of the neighborhood’s Irish roots. The course’s second hole is the second oldest golf hole of any course in Onondaga County.
Sunnycrest Golf Course is located on Caleb Avenue, off of Hickok Avenue in the City’s Eastwood neighborhood. Built in 1928, it provides a challenging par-3, while offering spectacular views of the city’s skyline. For questions regarding the City of Syracuse’s golf courses, please contact Joe Burns at 315-473-4330.
Outdoor Tennis Court Reopening
Outdoor City tennis courts will reopen on Friday, May 15.
To ensure everyone’s safety, players on the courts should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Play with members of your own household whenever possible.
- Keep six (6) feet apart from other players and park users. A mask must be worn when social distances are not able to be maintained.
- Wash/sanitize hands before and after playing tennis.
- Avoid touching court gates, fences and benches.
- Do not share equipment with other players. Sanitize equipment after play.
- Do not use the courts if you are feeling ill.
The list of parks with open tennis courts are as followed:
- Barry Park
- Burnet Park
- Comfort Tyler Park
- Homer Wheaton Park
- Kirk Park
- Lincoln Park
- McChesney Park
- Meachem Fields
- Upper Onondaga Park
- Roesler Park
- Schiller Park
- Sunnycrest Park
- Thornden Park
- Wadsworth Park
City tennis courts are free of charge and available on a first-come, first-serve basis from dawn to dusk. For questions regarding tennis courts, please call 315-473-4330.
Leave a Reply via Social