Pre-registration for all sessions will be required and COVID-19 rules will be in effect
The City of Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs will offer opportunities for City residents, ages 55 and older, to walk or run laps at the Magnarelli Community Center gymnasium, located at 2308 Grant Boulevard, beginning Tuesday, Jan. 19.
“We understand the importance of physical activity and how the lack of it can impact an individual’s overall well-being. We have been working hard to comply with all current local and state guidance while balancing the safety of our employees and community to creatively deliver recreational opportunities to our residents,” said Parks Commissioner Julie LaFave. “The walking sessions at Magnarelli Community Center are just another example of us trying to adapt to our current situation. If the demand for more indoor walking is there, we will gladly add additional sessions.”
Capacity will be limited based on current local and state guidance. As of Wednesday, Nov. 25, building occupancy will not exceed eight (8) walkers at a time. Advanced registration is required. Residents can register for one session per day.
Walking sessions will be available Tuesday through Thursday for one hour, including arrival and departure. To start, session times will be offered at the following times:
- 8:00 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m.
- 11:00 a.m.
Online reservations can be made at Syracuse.recdesk.com starting Tuesday, Jan. 12 at 8 a.m. and will open one week in advance. Residents are encouraged to set up an account prior to registering. Walk-up admissions will not be allowed.
The following health and safety precautions will be taken:
- Residents who are not feeling well are asked to stay home.
- Masks must be worn in the building at all times.
- Temperatures will be taken for each patron prior to entry.
- Walkers must remain six feet apart from other walkers unless they reside in the same household.
- Locker rooms will remain closed. Center users should come ready to walk and leave once they are done or when the session is over. Additional programs and activities will not be available.
- Exercise rooms will remain closed.
- Staff will clean building areas throughout the hour-long sessions and will conduct a deeper cleaning in the 30-minute window between sessions, when the building is completely emptied out.
For more information, call the City of Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs at 315-473-4330.